Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Christmas at JIBC


I sometimes hear the phrase “I feel the love” or “I don’t feel the love”. This time of the year when I think of God not sparing His one and only Son and sending Him to be born here on earth…I feel the love! This coming Sunday, December 22 will be the fourth Sunday of Advent. We will focus on the Gift of Love. It really is a season of love and we will focus on the Gospel message of God’s love for us. My favorite verse in the New Testament is Romans 5:8…take a look.

Did you notice something missing this Christmas season?
The Church-wide Christmas card mail box was not up this year. When it came time to put it out and up, we were right in the middle of a major construction project. It’s not that it was impossible to get it out; it was just a lot easier considering all the construction and Christmas traffic. It is the first time in my 28 years that we did not have the Christmas card mail box out. I feel sure you will see it make its annual appearance next Christmas season. By the way, remember the reason for doing that? To save money on stamps and give the money to Lottie Moon/International Missions offerings.

The largest attended service of the year is Christmas Eve. Make plans now to attend this year’s Christmas Eve Carols, Communion and Candlelight service. We begin on Christmas Eve, 6:00 p.m. We sing our favorite Christmas carols, some wonderfully new songs, observe the Lord’s Supper and then have a beautiful candle lighting service. If all goes well, we will plan to have baptism that night as well. What a most wonderful time of the year…sorry, couldn’t help it. It is true and I hope it is a wonderful time of the year for you and your family.

See you this Sunday, good Lord willing.

Pastor Tom