Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Hallelujah, What a blessing!

This past Sunday we had several guests in the worship service. Among those visiting was a very special one to me: my grandson ,Wyatt. I did not know he was coming and I did not know he was in the service. I learned afterwards that Trey, Erin and Wyatt were in worship for the first time since 2 months before he was born. It might have been a good thing I did not know. There would have been a “Lion King” like moment of holding Simba for everyone to see. There is a very real downside to being the family of the Pastor! At any rate, welcome to your church family Wyatt Trey Wilkins. What a great day to be in the house of the Lord.

LORDSHIP: POSITION, POSSESSION, PERMISSION

I have started a new teaching series on Lordship. This past Sunday we focused on the Position of Lordship. The word “Lord” appears over 6,000 times in the Bible and is found in almost every Book of the Bible. The Apostle Paul uses it over 200 times in reference to Jesus. “Jesus is Lord” is the creed and confession of the New Testament Church.

Philippians 2:11 reminds us that one day every knee shall bow and every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord to the glory of God the Father. The position of Lordship is a bowed knee to an exalted Lord. He is God and I am not. The heart of every sin in my life is my desire to be god, to be the authority, to exalt my will over His. You have heard me say often that sin is trying to meet a legitimate need in an illegitimate way. Our Heavenly Father has provided what we need. Remember Psalm 23: “The LORD is my Shepherd; I shall not be in want.” When I decide I want what I want when I want it and will get it however I want to, I have declared my position on Lordship. It is not the bowed knee before an exalted Lord. It is an exalted ego. Choosing to be the ultimate authority of my life has caused my crash and burn moments and experiences. My way did not work. I came to realize there is a God and I am not Him. So, I begin a lifetime and a lifestyle of acknowledging Jesus is Lord. I quote Psalm 139 asking God to search my heart and reveal unclean, unhealthy, unholy ways in my life. It is a process that will continue until I breathe my last breath here on earth and open my eyes in glory. So today, afresh and anew, I bow my knee and confess with my mouth “Jesus Christ is Lord”.

See you Sunday, good Lord willing,

Pastor Tom