Wednesday, May 6, 2015

My Daily Bible Reading

From time to time I like to change up my Bible reading habit. As long as you are reading His Word, I think almost any plan is a good plan. But here is what I am currently doing. This week, for instance, I am reading Psalm 19. I will read this same Psalm each day, all week long. Each morning my goal is to spend some time reading, thinking about, and applying this Psalm to life. About the third day of reading, I will pick up a commentary and see what others are saying about this particular Psalm. If I didn’t have commentaries in my library, I would do the same thing by googling. There are more resources online that I could ever have time to use. Then I try to find ways to share the Psalm. I might use it to open any meetings that I lead. I look for opportunities to share insights with those I meet with. I know I could cover more ground by reading a Psalm a day or by trying to read through the Psalms in a month. I have done that before. But for now, I am enjoying reading one Psalm, every day, all week. After that, I read the Proverb chapter of the day. There are 31 chapters in the Book of Proverbs. It works out that you could read one chapter for each day of the month. The day I am typing this is Monday, May 4. So, it was Proverbs chapter 4 for today. Proverbs 4:23 happens to be one of my favorite verses: “Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life.” Then I will try to add a New Testament passage. Reading and meditating on God’s Word is one way I try to guard my heart.

If you are looking for a more systematic way of studying the Bible, I would suggest one of our Sunday Connection groups. For example, during May, our Sunday Connection groups will be studying what the Bible says about relationships…making relationships stick. What a great on-time message from God’s Word to God’s people. So, back to my earlier statement: as long as you are reading His Word, I think almost any plan is a good plan.

See you this Sunday as we continue our series on Fruit Inspection, Galatians 5:22-23.


Pastor Tom