Wednesday, January 13, 2016

TWO REALLY BIG EVENTS HAPPEN THIS WEEK.

I am writing this on Monday, January 11. Tonight Clemson plays Alabama for the National Championship. By the time you read this the game will be a done deal, in the record books. If Alabama wins, it is what most prognosticators expected. If Clemson wins, it may well be the biggest sports story of the year. You have noticed that I usually do not joke about sports or teams from the pulpit. Every now and again I will poke fun at the teams I enjoy and support…but not often. People are very touchy about their teams…especially if they have a history of being less than successful.

It is fun to imagine what would happen if the followers of Christ were as rabid and radical about the Kingdom of Christ as the Kingdom of My University. How different the worship would be if sung with the enthusiasm of our fight songs; how packed churches would be if we attended so faithfully; how the offerings would multiply if we gave with big game enthusiasm. That is at least a part of what I am aiming for in the “ALL IN” series. What would stop us from being all in on an eternal championship team? I am so pleased to hear your enthusiastic worship Sunday after Sunday. I am thrilled to see offerings so generous we can constantly increase what we give away to community and to world missions! I am blessed when I see friends bringing friends to worship and connection groups. Really, I love it. I love Team JIBC. Your love for our Father and Lord Jesus changes your life and your families. All In…All Jesus…all the time!

THE SECOND BIG EVENT. This past Wednesday was the lottery drawing for $1.3 Billion dollars. OK, gotta be honest. Janie snuck out to the 7/11 to buy a couple of tickets. Don’t judge. She did it for the sake of helping South Carolina education. OK, it wasn’t Janie, it was me. The point is, have you ever thought what you would do with $1.3 Billion? OK, after taxes and taking a cash payout, you only get around $500 Million. Still, what would you do? It is fun to imagine. The only thing I can’t imagine is the idea that it would not change me! Since I will not know what it is like to have $500 million, I dream about what I would do with a little less. What would I do with what I do have? I will be a good steward/manager of what God gives me. I will tithe and give offerings, save for emergencies, and live life blessed and highly favored. What I would do with a little is probably an excellent indication of what I would do with a lot. Either way, I want to live ALL IN…ALL JESUS…all the time.

See you Sunday, good Lord willing, wearing Victory Orange!

Pastor Tom