Wednesday, March 15, 2017

20,000 EGGS DROPPED FROM A HELICOPTER?

To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all people so that by all possible means I might save some. I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings. 1 Corinthians 9:22-23

Why in the world would a church invest money, time and effort in dropping 20,000 eggs from a helicopter? By the way, let’s go over the basics: the eggs are not dropped on anyone and they are plastic eggs with candy inside not hard boiled eggs. OK, now back to the “Why?”

Last year we estimate that we had over 2,000 people attend the biggest outreach event JIBC has ever hosted. Really, I am not that big a fan of some of the ways culture celebrates some of our most important events. I am, however, a fan of reaching out to the unchurched and under churched community. All the research that is available for our area indicates that parents are really interested in kids events. They are looking for top quality, low cost, family oriented events where they can help their children have an experience. Now put this picture together. We have jump castles, food trucks, and 20,000 Easter Eggs dropped out of a helicopter! You gotta be kidding me. No wonder we had almost 2,000 people. It was great.

I wonder if this could fit into what the Apostle Paul was talking about in 1 Corinthians 9:22-23? How do you become all things to all people for the sake of the Gospel. The old evangelism/mission adage is: find out where they are itching and scratch it. In our case, families are itching to have a great experience with their children. We can do our best to make sure that happens.

Here is the kicker for me. I know there is a part of me that wants to get the community people into the church. I would be thrilled for them to come visit us on Easter and hear the life changing message of the Gospel. What excites me even more than getting the community into the church is getting the church into the community. We have found a way to make a difference in our community, to serve families, to provide healthy entertainment alternatives. These community events allow us to get the salt out of the salt shaker, to get light into a community of darkness. I agree that we are not going to have an abundance of theological support on dropping Easter Eggs, jump castles and food trucks. We do have a lot of reason for loving the community, having tons of fun and showing the love of Christ. Let’s do it. Let’s do it together. Let’s do it with joy and love.

Blessings and love,

Pastor Tom