Thursday, March 13, 2014

Bible Study @JIBC

Think about the amazing opportunities we have for Bible Study at JIBC. On Sunday mornings, you have your pick of a dozen adult Bible Study teachers: all shapes, sizes, flavors…so to speak. Really, you have a wide variety of choices. BIG REMINDER: we study the Bible. It easy to get confused because we give you a small devotional book, sometimes referred to as a “quarterly”. You are not studying the quarterly. That just helps you study the Bible. It helps give you questions, a little background and direction. We study the Bible. I used to hear people say “I don’t like the material we use in Bible study”. Really? You don’t like the Bible? Again, if your class is studying the “literature” or the “quarterly”, I suggest you let me know and I will help you change classes. You have a wonderful opportunity each week to study the Word of God with other believers in a setting that fits almost everyone. What’s not to love?

Then there are the Connection Groups that meet during the week. They also study a wide variety of topics. Several of them have chosen to study different books of the Bible. They systematically go through the Bible verse by verse. I love it. Way to go, Connection Groups. Others prefer topics that deal with things like marriage, prayer, family life, etc. Even there, they will study Bible based, solid doctrine, materials that are designed to help you grow.

Then we have the Wednesday night study of the Book of Romans. A chapter by chapter walk through the inspired work by the Apostle Paul. This study does have requirements. First time visitors are welcomed and allowed to walk in without preparation. JIBC members must have read and studied the chapter before showing up. My goal would be to have a Bible Study that will make you spiritually stronger, not just “hearing the word only”. So, I provide a weekly handout for you to complete and bring with you. We are also looking for an “outreach” project that we can do one Wednesday evening. We have other forums for Bible Study like First Place, etc. All of them designed to help you grow to be more like Jesus.

Bible Study is more about transformation than information. The good news is the information provides inspiration that can lead to transformation. I pray all of our groups will result in making us more like Jesus, changing us into Kingdom minded servants.

I am so happy to serve as your Pastor. I love what I do, where I do it and who I do it with. I am blessed and highly favored.

Pastor Tom