Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Connecting to JIBC!


Guest Post from Susan Warren, Connections Ministry Leader at JIBC


Occasionally, people ask me, “What do you do in life?” Yes, I do understand they want to know more my work, but that usually is the question that gets me to talking about all of my children, my mom, and the rest of my family. I will finally relieve their tension and say, “I am the Connections Leader at James Island Baptist Church.” “But, what do you do?” Good Question! I can connect you with God, people, ministries inside and outside the walls of our church, Connection (small) groups, and all the training and encouragement that goes with connecting you to God and each other.


In the year, plus some, I have been at JIBC, I am so amazed at the many opportunities there are for us to join with God on His mission of reconciling all people to His Son, Jesus and to “connect” with each other and others who so need the good news, the Gospel! Many of the opportunities are in the form of becoming a part of a Connection Group – living life with each other, going to and interacting with the young women at the Florence Crittenton Home, volunteering for and supporting A Taste Of James Island Churches which will benefit James Island Outreach food bank, becoming a reading buddy and mentor to a child at Murray-Lasaine Elementary School, Lowcountry Orphan Relief and Lowcountry Pregnancy Center. And this is just the “tip of the iceberg” of the opportunities we have to join God on His mission. In the many opportunities we have to “connect,” we cannot forget what our purpose is. Pastor Tom so clearly and regularly reminds us and challenges us of our purpose in Christ: to connect with each other through worship, fellowship, membership, discipleship and spiritual growth, praying for and encouraging each other, and ministering to the lost.


You and I are called to be God’s messengers of his Good News. It only takes one person to respond to His calling, however, it is so much more enjoyable to live life with others and work together for the cause of the Gospel. You need a place to serve! God wants you to serve Him! Contact me for some ideas that are already in the works. I will get you “CONNECTED!”


On one last note, there will be an Aging in Place Seminar, Saturday, March 29, 2014. Coffee, juice and pastries will be served. I am so excited for our church to be co-hosting with McAlister-Smith on this event. Here is the opportunity to begin planning for yourself or a loved one with resource materials and information provided by the members of the South Carolina Aging in Place Coalition. Make your plans to attend. RSVP to me by March 24 at susan@jamesislandbaptist.com or by calling the church Office, 843-762-0244.


Blessings,

Susan