Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Exciting Times at JIBC

Who looks like Kenny G and sounds like Michael Buble? That would be Marty Clark, our new Worship Pastor. OK, at least that is how I describe him. Pastor Sean describes his as a young man with an old soul…a wonderful and rare combination. All the references say the same thing about him…he loves Jesus and loves to lead in worship. I am loving that combination.

We are very excited about a fresh new addition to our worship. As you may remember from Marty’s resume, he is 22 and has just graduated from Charleston Southern University with a Music and Worship Leadership Degree. He is in the first graduating class with that particular degree. So, to an old guy like me…he’s just a baby. But I do love me some babies in my family! I really do believe you will love him and love his heart for worship. Get to know him and his heart. Remember, he is not here to be a cheer leader. He is here to lead in worship. I think he will do that well.

Now, put yourself in his shoes for a moment. Who are these people at JIBC? He does not yet know that you will love and embrace him. He will find that out soon enough. Fred led the band from the piano…Marty will lead with his guitar and his voice. Fred knew the band and worked with them for years…Marty will meet them for the first time this week and work with them for the first time this Thursday. I suspect there will be some time to adjust to a different way of doing some things. He is competent and capable…but it is a new setting. I would be a bit nervous. In fact, I am a bit nervous for him.

I asked Marty to bring a couple of his friends to fill in at band positions where we currently do not have players. We have not had a bass player for a while…so Marty has asked a friend to come and play. We have not had a lead guitar player for a while…so Marty has asked another friend to come and play. We currently do not have a keyboard/piano player…so Marty has asked a friend to come and play. Our praise band and singers are still on board and will be present. I really want Marty’s first experience with us to be as good as possible. So, I asked if he had friends that would like to come and play with our band. I did not want the absence of the piano to be what you noticed first.

As always…to God be the glory. Let everything that has breath praise the Lord.

Pastor Tom