Tuesday, September 12, 2017

If I Had It To Do All Over Again

Most of the time in life we do not get a chance to do it over. I have found it to be a helpful exercise in personal growth to ask the question anyway: If I could have a do over, what would I do differently. In reference to Irma, I think it is particularly helpful to ask. While Irma will not be back, we are very likely to face one of her siblings. So what, if anything, would I do differently?

First, I think we were amazingly blessed by the company and crew that put the shingles on the roof. I know the question was out there about putting this on before a hurricane. Just remember, we had multiple leaks in multiple places. We have no way of knowing how much more damage could have been done with the torrential rains. As far as I can tell, the timing of replacing the shingles was just in time. The roofing crew completely finished the Worship Center and almost all the rest of the buildings before last Sunday morning. Wow. To God be the glory and to all who made that call…thanks.

Tuesday morning, Neale and I walked our entire building and every room and only found leaks in two places. One was through a window and one is related to the metal roof in the atrium. When rain comes sideways and from the ground it will find a way inside. The Transition House also made it with no leaks or roof damage. Now, we do have a lot of limbs and debris to be cleaned up. Again, to God be the glory.

Second, the storm reminded us of the need for a Connection Group/Church Family contact plan. We will work on a more reliable way to keep everyone quickly informed and a way to find out everyone’s status. The best plan seems to be the Connection Groups. We will work on that sooner rather than later. Remember, a chain is only as good as its weakest link. Let’s stay connected.

See you Sunday, good Lord willing and the other creek don’t rise!

Pastor Tom