Thursday, September 7, 2017

THINGS I LOVE ABOUT JIBC

I am always enamored by Elizabeth Barrett Browning’s love poem “How Do I Love Thee”. It is a good read anytime. When I think of the blessings of JIBC, I usually start with her opening line: “How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.” So, let me share some of the reasons…not so much the ways…that I love JIBC.

First, as soon as the news about Harvey and Houston broke, we had church leaders and members asking what JIBC could do. We have some already committed to going. So, if you cannot go or cannot go just yet, what can we do? Pray. You can imagine the strain and pain of life after a hurricane. Many of us lived through Hugo and several lesser storms. So pray. Give. You can give through South Carolina Disaster Relief or you can give directly to churches on the ground just outside of the Houston area. Ron and Jill Cipriano live outside of Houston and have helped us get in contact with churches actively involved. As we know information, you will know it. Susan Warren is our contact person. By the way, we are waiting to see what Irma is doing. We might have urgent needs closer to home.

Second, I love that our JIBC family voted unanimously to move forward with Phase II of our renovations. I am glad to see the renovations but not near as glad about the way we arrive at the decisions. We had unanimous agreement among the staff, the Elders, The Finance Team, the Ministry Management Team and the Deacons. Then, with a wonderful family meeting attendance, we had unanimous support again. That is not unheard of but it is wonderful! It is one of the things I love!

I just did an interview with a student from one of our universities about community health. It was wonderful to just be able to talk almost non-stop about the way you bless our community and make it a better place to live. I love you…let me count the ways.

BTW, the roofing work has started today, Tuesday, September 5. Our belief is that it is going on in just the nick of time. Hammer on!

Pastor Tom