Friday, July 16, 2021

WHAT TO DO WHEN YOU DON’T KNOW WHAT TO DO!

Have you ever been there? What do you do when you don’t know what to do? Most of us have been. Sometimes life can throw a curve ball that leave you ducking out of the way; or an emotional blow that causes you to gasp for a breath; or a confusing, conflicting situation that paralyzes you with fear or anxiety. What do you do when you can’t catch your breath? It happens. Sometimes in life we are attacked by our real enemy the devil who is described as a roaring lion seeking whom he can devour. Other times we feel we are being attacked by enemies or people who do not have our best interest in mind. There are times when our bodies are attacked by disease and we race ahead in fear or anxiety about what to do next. Whatever the reason, chances are you have felt that way before…what do I do when I don’t know what to do.

I don’t mean to imply these things are a cure all; I just want to share how the Lord helps restore balance and peace into my life. These are the “go to” antidotes when my emotions get out of control. First, I try to increase my praise. I make an effort to praise more and praise louder. I need to lift up in praise the One who is the answer not the one who is the problem. I think there is power in praise. So, I try to listen to praise music, to sing praises and to read about the Greatness of God. Second, I try to increase my thanksgiving. The devil is a liar and he will try to convince us that things are bad and that nothing is good. Don’t buy it! Count your blessings. Start with the basics…you woke up, you were able to get up, the coffee was hot and fresh, my dog still likes me! Then start stretching your faith…give thanks for all things for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus. Giving thanks serves as a corrective to the negative tapes I allow to play in my head. I try to write down three things I am thankful for every day. I am currently over day 1,000 of giving thanks for three blessings every day. Third, I try to focus outside of myself…to help someone else. Do something we would call missions. Reach out to someone, take food to a homebound person, visit someone who is sick, and volunteer to help the underserved. When I am confused, I know it is always a good thing to help someone else. It is usually a good idea to try to get outside my own head. Fourth, but not fourth in importance…stay in the Word of God. Give our Father the opportunity to speak to your heart. Ask Him to speak to you about your circumstance through the wonderful Biblical stories. He still speaks and guides. Ask Him and let Him. Last, stay connected to your friends. Let them know as much as you are comfortable with sharing. They will listen, care, pray and be there. Whatever I am going through, I can go through it better with godly friends. If you don’t have any real friends, let me know…I will loan you one of mine, they are great and will be great for you too! That might not be a comprehensive list, but it is my go to list.

See you Sunday, good Lord willing.

Pastor Tom

PS…starting in August, Celebrate Recovery will begin worship at 6:30 and end worship around 6:50. I would love for you to come and join us for a Sunday night praise time. You don’t have to stay for the lesson…although you certainly could and would be welcomed. After the lesson, we usually dismiss to small groups by 7:00. You could join us from 6:30 to 7:00 for an inspiring time of worship and a very helpful lesson. Hope you will consider visiting or joining us. Casual dress of course! These past two weeks Stephanie and David Jr. were are featured singers. Wow!