Wednesday, April 27, 2022

Out of the mouths of babes!

Have you ever heard that phrase “out of the mouths of babes”? It is the Bible version of the old television show “Kids Say The Darndest Things”. Well, here is my story. I was taking my 7 year old grandson to school one morning. He can go from completely silent saying nothing at all to being so chatty I can’t keep up with the conversation. This one was a bombshell delivered by an angelic little face. “Granddad, what do you do with all the money you get on Sundays?” I stalled by saying “Pardon me, what did you say?” He repeated the question. Nope, it did not change at all: What do you do with all the money you get on Sunday’s? Ok, keep it simple, he is a seven year old. “Well, like in your home, we pay for electricity, water” and before I could finish with all the things “I” do with the money, the little inquisitor jumps in again… “You mean you just pay bills with it? Don’t you help the homeless?” I literally turned to look in my back seat to make sure it was my grandson and not some angelic manifestation of the Holy Spirit coming to speak to me. OK, I got him to wait until I could finish my answer. I told him of the money to Ukraine, to Romania, the Transition House, Connection Groups…but by now, the little messenger from Heaven had delivered his message and had gone back to whatever Pokémon character he was obsessed with.

I dropped my grandson off at school, but I carried his question with me for the rest of the week. I also carried my question with me: Was that the Holy Spirit speaking to me? What do I do with the money we get on Sunday or pay day or any day? Do I just pay bills? What if God asked me that very same question? In fact, I think He did.

My goal is to be a good manager of all God gives me. It is not mine but He has entrusted it to me. How do I spend the monies He gives me, whether we are talking JIBC offerings or the paychecks I receive? Of course we give tithes and offerings. That is our first step in acknowledging that all we have is from our Father in Heaven. Then we try to give generously. By God’s grace, we have been able to be out of debt for a while. Our only debt is Janie’s car. That frees us up to be generous givers above our tithes and offerings. Our old friend, Boyce Smith, helped teach us Biblical Financial Principles years ago. His investment of time has been blessed many times over in an untold number of lives. Thank you Boyce Smith and Dave Ramsey and Solomon and Jesus!

Pastor Tom

“Do you hear what these children are saying?” they asked him. “Yes,” replied Jesus, “have you never read, “’From the lips of children and infants you, Lord, have called forth your praise’?”
Matthew 21:16