Friday, February 10, 2023

How do you follow that?

Last week we shared the announcement concerning praying with and for Scott and Lori Blasingame.
I know that was a shock to most of us. When I found out back in October, I had no idea that Scott was wanting to leave his role as an Associate Pastor to be a Senior Pastor. The only advantage I had in knowing 4 months before you is that I was able to start grieving earlier.

I have consistently told Scott that he was among the best associates I have ever had. I feel like I am losing part of my left brain’s source of information and creativity. He has been wonderful to work with over the past 3 years. I agree with all who have said they will miss him.

In some ways, I do not blame him one bit in wanting to be a Senior Pastor. He has worked here for three years. It is easy to love JIBC and love the way we do church. In my opinion, he has been able to experience a church family quite different from any he has served before. He was able to love and be loved; serve and be served; encourage and be encouraged. At JIBC, he stepped into a church with a high value on trust; an openness to brokenness; a true multigenerational church. JIBC life is normal to us, but it is not the norm! I could not blame him for wanting to experience and lead a church like JIBC. My prayer is that our Good and Gracious God will grant Scott and Lori the desire of his heart.

This past Sunday we prayed for and blessed Scott and Lori. We gathered around them, laid our hands on them and ask God’s continued blessings of favor to be upon them. I know that is very unusual to pray for a staff member before they actually announce they are leaving. But they need prayer and guidance now as well as after the fact. We usually want someone to pray for us before our surgery/wedding,/big decision, etc. I would welcome prayer of thanksgiving after, but I would desire prayers of blessing before.

So, this Sunday, near the beginning of the worship service, we will pray again for Scott and Lori. I claim for them Philippians 1:6, He who began a good work in you will be faithful to continue that good work until Jesus comes again! I trust our Heavenly Father to continue to use Scott to bless that church in Rock Hill the way He used Scott to bless JIBC. And all God’s people said “Amen”.

Blessings,

Pastor Tom