Thursday, April 27, 2023

Celebrate Recovery

“He went to Nazareth, where he had been brought up, and on the Sabbath day he went into the synagogue, as was his custom. He stood up to read, and the scroll of the prophet Isaiah was handed to him. Unrolling it, he found the place where it is written: ‘The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to set the oppressed free, to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor.’ Then he rolled up the scroll, gave it back to the attendant and sat down. The eyes of everyone in the synagogue were fastened on him. He began by saying to them, ‘Today this scripture is fulfilled in your hearing.’” Luke 4:16-21 (NIV)

Someone not associated with James Island Baptist asked if Celebrate Recovery was really the kind of ministry we wanted to have at James Island Baptist. This was followed by a second question: “Is that really the kind of people you want your church family and guests to see?”

I have several thoughts on that line of questioning…as you might imagine. First, read or re-read the above Scripture. This is what many call Jesus’ inaugural sermon. Here is his target, his goal, his vision, his values, his heart: prisoners, the blind, the oppressed, the poor…he could have continued a long time with his list. He came for the sick and the unrighteous. He hung out with sinners, prostitutes, thieving tax collectors. He freed the demon possessed. Yes, these are the type of people Jesus loves and wants to reach, redeem and restore.

My second thought: “I am one of ‘those’ people”. A church called Dorchester Waylyn Baptist took a chance on reaching out to a delinquent teenager. I was a prisoner to my sin; blind to the goodness and grace of God; oppressed by my own bad choices; spiritually poor and broken. I am so glad Bob Morris had room in his heart and theology to want one of “those people” to come to a camp with the other teenagers. At that camp, my life was changed, my sins were forgiven, I had a group to help me make it.

We had around 45 in Celebrate Recovery this last Sunday Night. My guess, there was a Tom hiding somewhere in that group. Thank you for being the kind of church that welcomes “those kind of people” and for recognizing we are all “those kind of people”. (Romans 3:23)

See you Sunday, good Lord willing,

Pastor Tom