Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Reading the Bible Through This Year

It has been a while since I read the Bible from Genesis to Revelation. This year, I decided to incorporate that into my spiritual disciplines. So, I started with Genesis and am now in Isaiah. I have to admit some places are far more enjoyable and interesting than others. I love Genesis and Exodus and thoroughly enjoyed Joshua, Judges and Ruth. Not as thrilled about Leviticus…and the judgments of Isaiah are slow reading. One of the benefits is the extra reading I do to remember people and places. My Bible Dictionary is always nearby, so I often refer to it to look up names and places. I had forgotten that the phrase “By the skin of your teeth” comes from Job. I usually read three chapters a day, then a Psalm and then the passage from Romans that I will teach the next Sunday. My point is not to say you should read the Bible through, cover to cover. It is a good exercise that has blessings associated with it. My point is to encourage you to put in the work necessary in spiritual disciplines. It is God’s design that they have reward and benefit. Things like “Thy Word have I hidden in my heart that I might not sin against Thee”.

Every now and again, it is good to change up your routine. As they say “Variety is the spice of life”. So adding a little variety to your Bible reading or daily quiet time, could just spur some additional spiritual growth. Try a new translation of the Bible or a different Study Bible. You could order a Celebrate Recovery Bible and read the Bible and work on the 12 Steps and 8 Principles of Celebrate Recovery. I am currently using John Maxwell’s Leadership Bible. It is the Bible filled with tons of leadership principles from one of America’s greatest Christian leaders.

So here is how my quiet time usually goes. First, I am at my home desk with my Bible, my notebook, whatever current book I am reading and my hymn book. As I read my scripture for the day, I take notes on what I think God is saying or I just copy verses that speak to me (sometimes those are the same thing). If a Bible verse really speaks to my heart, I write it on a sticky note and put it in my car to be a constant reminder. Then I read a few pages in whatever book I happen to be reading. I do the same, recording what stands out to me or what speaks to my heart. Then I will close with a hymn of praise.

That is what I am doing currently in my Bible reading. Come January 1, I will most likely change it up and read a different translation and use a different method. The point is to consume the Word of God. Look to His Word daily for help, guidance, encouragement, correction, etc. I believe our Father is still speaking to us through His Holy Word. I don’t want to miss it and I don’t want you to miss it. Stay calm and read on!

Pastor Tom