Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Transition House: Stories From The Residents

Over the past weeks I have been writing articles about the Transition House Mission and Ministry. If you happened to miss them and would be interested, you can find them online at the church website, www.jamesislandbaptist.com. We will have an open house in a few weeks to let the church family see the improvements and repairs. Whew. We are within sight of the end of the construction, painting, replacing and repenting! I thought you might rejoice at some of their testimonies.

Resident #1 The Transition House was everything the name implies. It was a safe place, a home, where I could learn to maneuver in a world I was not familiar with. I had enough freedom to make my own choices which was crucial for me to be able to eventually stand on my own two feet. At the same time, if I needed help, support and leadership it was literally only a few feet away. I came from the Charleston Center broken, a waste of space, and a pregnant junkie. I had no relationship with God or my family. Today, I am a happy fulfilled mommy; I am sober, love God and know He loves me. The Charleston Center gave me 90 days to have a body free of drugs. The Transition House, God and hard work gave me everything else. The Transition House saved my life and my son! I will be forever grateful to the Transition House and JIBC for giving me a relationship with God, my son and my life.

Resident #2 The Transition House was the key to my sobriety. After being in the Charleston Center, I was truly grateful for the opportunity to grow as a person as well as in my sobriety. I had no safe place to go when I left treatment. I needed a safe place away from the people and places where I got into trouble. The people at Celebrate Recovery and church on Sunday showed me that people care and don’t judge me for my past mistakes. Without this opportunity, I would not be the person I am today. I have moved back home and have transitioned to be a full time mother and active in a local church. I cannot thank God enough for the Transition House and the people at JIBC.

Resident #3 When asked to write about my experience at the Transition House I am stopped in my tracks, in awe of Christ. Through James Island Baptist God provided a shelter when I was on the street; provided food when I had nothing to eat; a family when I had been driven away; friendships when I had run my friends off. You loved me in spite of me. You showed me His love and I returned to Him because of you. The Transition House and the ministry of JIBC gave me back my Christ. May this beautiful splendid work of His continue as a tangible evidence of His grace.

I believe I could have received similar words of testimony and gratitude from the majority of the women who came through the Transition House. Even when there were some relapses, we still love them and try to keep in contact with them. Most of the 23 past residents would have similar words of gratitude. Make no mistake about it…working with addiction is very difficult. I believe only the Gospel of Jesus has the power to set them free…He is their Higher Power. Thank you for your generous tithes and offerings that directly make such ministries possible.

Pastor Tom