Thursday, March 28, 2019

“…for such a time as this.”

Did you recognize that quote? It is perhaps the most well known quote from the book of Esther. In the book of Esther, Mordecai is coaching Esther on how to approach her husband, King Xerxes. He has agreed to a plan to put to death all the Jews in his kingdom. Esther, a Jew, is in a very unique position. She is the Queen but she is not allowed to just walk into the kings presence and ask for a favor. She is hesitant and knows that it could result in her own death. Mordecai sends word to her: “For if you remain silent at this time, relief and deliverance for the Jews will arise from another place, but you and your fathers family will perish. And who knows but that you have come to royal position for such a time as this?” Esther 4:14.

For such a time as this! What a great concept. What if God has you where you are at this time for a particular purpose? You are the coach on your team for such a time as this; you are in the office at your place of work for such a time as this; you have an opportunity …for such a time as this. What if God has arranged our lives, our talents, our ability and availability for such a time as this?

This is the attitude I try to have when I have certain opportunities as a pastor. Part of every pastor’s job includes funerals and weddings. I think that I always try to do the absolute best that I can when performing a funeral or a wedding. My attitude is “ …and who knows that you have come to …position for such a time as this”. Perhaps God has me in this place, at this moment in time to show a group gathered together a picture of a good and beautiful God. Of course I am ministering to the couple being married or the family who lost a loved one. But so much more that that…I have come to this place for such a time as this. It is my opportunity to beseech the Father to bless and spare those who do not know Him…just as Esther did for the Jews. I want the family to be pleased with the wedding or funeral, as the case may be. But more than that, I really pray for those gathered to see a Good and Beautiful God, His Good and Beautiful Son and His Good and Beautiful Community called James Island Baptist.

Take a moment. Where does He have you? Who knows that you have come to …position for such a time as this? I am praying for you as you show them a Good an Beautiful God!

See you this Sunday, good Lord willing,

Pastor Tom