Thursday, September 17, 2020

HOW CAN I SAY THANKS

This past Sunday was such a wonder filled day for me and Janie. Sunday, September 13 was my 65th Birthday and the exact Sunday of our 35th year serving as your Pastor and Pastor’s wife. I want to make sure I give God glory for my wife, Janie, and her role in our ministry. As Donnie Almond says, “Janie does all the work, writes all the sermons and picks Tom’s clothes out!” She has certainly been a major part of anything God has been able to do in my life. So, for these two days to fall on the same Sunday was wonderful.

First, the joy of being able to meet for in person worship is still such a thrill. I was glad when they said unto me let us go to the house of the Lord. Second, we celebrated three baptisms. What an honor and joy to baptize on any Sunday. But on this particular Sunday it was an extra privilege and cause to rejoice for me. Third, there was the totally unexpected paying off of the debt. Just by His coincidence, the debt amount was $35,000 and some change on our 35th Anniversary. I am pretty sure this is the first time in my ministry and maybe in the church history that we have been completely out of debt! Can somebody say “Amen!”? My heartfelt thanks to our leaders who worked to make that happen and to our church family that gave so generously over the years. To God be the glory. Janie and I have so loved the personal letters sent, the video testimonies and the very generous gift cards. Janie would not have to cook for a couple of months if we went out every night to eat! All of the cards and gifts are deeply appreciated and will be loved. My sweet wife suggested that we take a letter a day and pray for the ones who sent it. I love that idea!

My thanks to our Health Teams and Welcome Teams as they welcomed everyone and tried their best to accommodate the large attendance at the 11:00 service. We were not anywhere near our “legally suggested capacity” but we were out of room that allowed everyone to stay 6 feet apart. We will be working on fixing that issue and pray God will bless us with large attendance that requires our best creativity! What a wonderful problem to have…more people than expected!

Thank you to our staff for all the work you did to make this a wonder filled day. To top the day off, I had a great family birthday party and Marie Smith arranged the birthday parade for the old man! Thank you, thank you, thank you. It was a perfect day for me at JIBC!

Pastor Tom