Thursday, January 12, 2023

FOUR SPIRITUAL DISCIPLINES EVERY BELIEVER SHOULD PRACTICE

Spiritual Disciplines are habits we can develop that will make us more like Jesus, draw us closer to God, can be improved and can be taught to others. There are many more Spiritual Disciplines than the ones I will mention today. But today, I want to mention four of the primary disciplines and focus particularly on one. The Four Spiritual Disciplines every believer needs to know in order to grow are: 1) Time in God’s Word 2) Prayer 3) Generous Giving/Tithing 4) Fellowship with believers.


Today, let’s talk about The Discipline of being into God’s Word. Remember the Bible is God’s Holy Word; it is like a love letter from our Father; it is the way God reveals Himself to us. “If you continue in my Word, then you are really my disciples indeed and you will know the truth and the truth will set you free.” John 8:31-32

How can we practice the spiritual discipline of being in God’s Word? First, we need to HEAR God’s Word. “Faith comes from hearing, and hearing by the Word of God.” Romans 10:17. Second, we need to READ God’s Word. “Happy is the one who reads this book…and obeys what is written in it.” Revelation 1:3. Third, we need to STUDY God’s Word. The Berean Church in Acts 17:11 received the Word eagerly and studied it every day. Fourth, and here is the hard one…we need to MEMORIZE God’s Word. “I have hidden your Word in my heart that I might not sin against you.” Psalm 119:11. Fifth, we need to MEDITATE on the Word of God. Psalm 1:2-3 carries a promise to all who would meditate on Scripture. It is worth the effort. Last, but not least, we need to APPLY God’s Word. Impression without expression leads to depression. What will you do with what you have read?

I am in a teaching series on Romans 8. I will be going verse by verse through one of the greatest chapters in the Bible. Along the way, I will be encouraging you to memorize several verses from the majestic chapter. The first one is Romans 8:1 “There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.” This is what I call a “Hallelujah and Amen Verse”. You will need this verse or someone you love will need this verse. Let’s get ahead of the curve and hide this one in our heart right away!

The past week I taught on Romans 8:1-4. This week I will pick up on Romans 8:5 and go a few more verses into this most inspiring chapter of God’s Word. See you Sunday, good Lord willing!

Pastor Tom