Tuesday, March 31, 2020

WHAT’S THE FIRST BIBLE VERSE THAT COMES TO MIND?

When you think about this Corona Virus Pandemic, what is the first Bible verse that comes to mind? Think about that for a moment. Over the years, perhaps you have memorized verses from the Bible and now the Holy Spirit brings them to your mind. I would be glad to hear from you if you would care to drop them in a private message to me on FB or send me a text.

I have two that come to mind. The first one is 2 Chronicles 7:14: “…if My people, who are called by My Name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.” I do not have a prophetic word about whether this is a judgment sent from God to the world but I do wonder how it could not be? Whether this is what I would call a direct judgment (specifically sent from God in reaction to sin) or an indirect judgment (something that happens because we live in an imperfect fallen world) I think 2 Chronicles 7:14 is a great verse for this time. It is always a good time to pray that we might hear a word from God. To seek His face is to seek intimate conversation where He has our undivided attention. This is a really good time to think about humility. Remember James says God resists the proud but gives grace to the humble. We should not have any problem confessing our dependence on Him to deliver us from this evil. Turning from our wicked ways may actually be harder than one would think. We have socialized sin and made it mainstream. To even label something as sin can cause uncivil debate. Yet, turning from sin is a required step to forgiveness and healing. So, let’s concentrate on our own sin and sins. That might keep us busy for a while.

The second verse is Jeremiah 29:11: “For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” Here is the passionate loving heart of our Father in Heaven. Here is His stated goal and desire. The people of Israel were captives in a foreign land and had just received the bad news that they were going to be there longer than they anticipated. The Babylonian exile put them in an unwanted “national lock down and quarantine”. But, God was still in control: He had a plan for His people that included prospering, hope and a future with purpose. This is not the first time God has dealt with a crisis. It may be my first pandemic but it is not God’s first. There was a universal pandemic called sin. It had infected the entire human race. God had a plan to defeat it and to keep it from controlling our lives and our destiny. The Gospel story is God’s plan to prosper you, to give you hope and a future.

Meditate on these things!

EASTER PLANS: looks like we might be live streaming for you on Easter Sunday. I will be doing daily devotionals on the Holy Week starting Sunday, April 5, Palm Sunday. Join me if you would like.